THE PROJECT BRIEF
• Church & Dwight acquired Simply Saline for its Personal Care SKU.
• The brand team wanted to optimize the Selling Proposition prior to investing in advertising support.
• The brand team requested we improve the A&H brand presence.
• The brand team requested we deconstruct their competition (Afrin, Ocean, Ayr and Walgreens private label) and identify Remarkable Triggers.
• The brand requested we improve the layout tracking.
• The brand requested we optimize the performance and placement of the Benefit, Physical Attributes and Performance Attributes.
THE GOLD MINING SESSION
- Gold Mining was lead by Keith Chambers at Church & Dwight headquarters in Princeton, New Jersey.
The Chambers creative team was on the phone in Los Angeles.
- It was decided to run one three-hour Connectics® session with 24 target consumers.
- The brand team provided guidance relative to the competition and the key category characteristics.
- The brand team was lead through a series of exercises that generated stimulus for each of the positioning elements to be explored.
This information is used to ground the Chambers team on the details of the assignment.
INTERIM DOCUMENT PRESENTATION
- Keith presented the interim document for review by the brand team.
- Positioning Connectics® exercises fall into two distinct categories:
1) Stimulus options for the elements being explored (Brand, Sub-Brand Generic Descriptor, Benefit, Attributes, etc.) and
2) Optimization exercises which are designed to indicate how to use the winning elements in each of the element exercises.
- The interim document details all of the stimulus developed for each of the positioning elements.
All stimulus was inspired by the platforms identified in the Gold Mining session, and represents a creative range within which the target consumer participants can find the most powerful communication.
- All of the optimization exercises to be used were identified.
- The document was reviewed thoroughly and left with the brand team for additional input.
THE CONNECTICS® SESSIONS
The session covered the following:
• Identifying the #1 category benefit.
• Measuring competition element-by-element.
• Measuring shelf impact.
• Measuring gender relative to perceived performance.
• Measuring the tracking through the selling proposition.
• Measuring the speed through the communication elements.
• Measuring the element hierarchy (most important).
• Measuring the element hierarchy (emotional charge).
• Identifying the purchase decision threshold.
• Maximizing variant differentiation.
• The layout was altered to decrease the time it takes consumers to reach the purchase decision point.
• The layout was altered to increase the prominence of the Benefit/Performance Attribute trigger.
• The layout was altered to increase the presence of the Arm & Hammer brand.
• The Key Graphic icon was altered to suit target preference.
• The recommendation has been adapted to all 20+ Simply Saline sku’s.
• This project was accomplished under the direction of Kendra McCarty, Sr. Manager MRD.